When I sat down at my computer to write a blog post a few days ago, I never intended the outcome to be a post about writing gratitude journals and gratitude lists.
I had been feeling down for the best part of the day and it was affecting my ability to write. It was like a dark cloud following me around.
I have been struggling with depression since last year but I’ve been making a conscious effort to try and see the positives in everyday life. Hence the rebrand from Stressy Mama to Serenely Sam. But sometimes, that dark cloud still rears its ugly head, especially when my Endometriosis is causing me problems.
The post came from within the dark cloud. I needed to get rid of the cloud and the best way I could think to do that was by writing a list of everything I felt grateful for at that time.
I’ll be honest and say that because I was feeling down, it was hard to come up with anything I felt grateful for. There were the obvious things like my daughter and having a nice house, but other than that I was stumped. I told myself I was making too big a deal of it and to not be so deep. I just needed to have fun with it. It is my gratitude list, after all!
With that, I decided that as well as the deep things, I am also going to add silly things that make me happy at that particular moment.
So, without further ado, here is Gratitude List #1
- Molly, my daughter – After struggling with infertility due to having Endometriosis and PCOS, she really is a miracle
- My house – It isn’t massive and it’s in need of decorating, but it’s my family’s home. I am truly blessed to have a home filled with love and laughter. My sister lives across the road too which is brilliant (mostly!)
- My fiance Chris – He loves me unconditionally and is a brilliant father to Molly. He works hard and it’s thanks to his support that I am able to stay home with Molly and build my own little empire, starting with this blog. If it wasn’t for him I would probably still be stuck in my 9-5!
- My phone and computer – So I can blog whenever I want
- I am forgiving with a kind heart
- I am proud of myself for rebranding my blog and starting my life over
- Lemon curd swiss roll (seriously) – I have just tried it for the first time and it is one of the nicest cakes I’ve ever tasted. I am easily pleased.
That’s everything for my Gratitude List #1 for now. Do you keep a gratitude journal or write a gratitude list? What is your process? Do you only write about the deep things or silly things like cake too? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. If you want to read my other gratitude lists you can find them here.